Hello friends! It’s been a wild week of packing and moving and prepping, but I’m in really good shape. Most things are packed, I’m all set to move the furniture on Saturday, and I have just enough kitchen equipment to make my meal prep for the week – quesadillas! – and make a quick birthday strawberry loaf cake for my boyfriend’s mom! She loves strawberry shortcake, so it was the perfect easy thing to make. I used this recipe, with a bit less sugar than it calls for, and made a glaze out of some leftover strawberry jam I have, and it turned out deliciously! I topped it with a bunch of whipped cream and she loved it, which was the most important bit.
My prep this week was decided simply by what I had left in the fridge: a stray bell pepper, an onion, most of a block of pepper jack cheese, and some leftover pulled chicken. The perfect beginnings for delicious quesadillas! I grabbed some tortillas, an extra bell pepper, and some cucumbers to make a salad to go on the side, and I’m all set for the week. If only I had left a plate to eat from, instead of having to use the cutting board! At least I still have my fav mug/bowl to eat out of 🙂
This came together super quickly, and it makes a great quesadilla, or put the filling over some quinoa or rice for a delicious grain bowl!
Quesadillas – makes 5
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 small onion
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tsp taco seasoning, or whatever spices make you happy
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ~2 C pulled chicken
- 8oz pepperjack cheese, shreaded
- 5 tortillas
- salsa, for serving
How to do it
- Slice the bell peppers and onion into thin strips. Heat a skillet over medium/medium high heat. Add the butter and oil and, once melted, add the peppers, onions, spices, and salt. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until everything is softened and cooked
- To make the quesadillas, spread cheese on one half of one of the tortillas. Top with chicken and some of the peppers/onions mixture
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Place tortilla in the pan and, once the cheese is melted, fold in half and flip every couple of minutes until it has reached the desired level of crispiness
- Serve with salsa and enjoy!