Helloooo! I had a very relaxing weekend where I mostly just slept, ate delicious food, and spent time with friends and loved ones. It was very needed after the craziness of the last couple of weeks!
We celebrated our 2 year anniversary on Friday by going to Barcelona in downtown Raleigh for dinner. We had been for brunch before, but dinner was a whole other experience. I think we preferred brunch overall, but y’all – I had some homemade ricotta (absolutely UNREAL) and another cheese dish with a red wine caramel that honestly you could drown me in and I’d be thrilled. I want to re-create it and use it for something! We’ll see…
But for meal prep this week, I wanted some veggies. I’ve been eating out a lot and not focusing on my veg and I can feel it. So! that brings me to some delicious chicken thighs with roasted brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and a delightful pan sauce with some honey mustard. It was great!
Here’s the recipe:
Chicken thighs with honey mustard sauce and veg
for the chicken & sauce
- 4-5 chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 C broth
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
for the veg
- 1 lb brussel sprouts
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- salt & pepper
How to do it
- start the veg: preheat the oven to 425*. prep the brussel sprouts by cutting off base of the root, then cutting them into quarters through the root. cut the onion into thin strips and cube the sweet potatoes
- place the brussel sprouts and onion on a sheet pan. drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper. toss to coat
- in a separate sheet pan, toss the sweet potato cubes in oil, salt, and pepper
- place all of the veggies into the oven and cook for about 20-30 minutes, tossing halfway. the veggies should have some browning and should be soft when poked with a fork. the brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes will likely not be done at the same time, which is why they’re on separate baking sheets!
- cook the chicken: heat a cast iron pan over medium high heat
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste
- add oil to the pan, then place the chicken in, skin side down, and cook for 6 minutes. then flip and cook for another 4-6 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165*. if using bone-in thighs, transfer to a 400* oven after flipping the chicken and cook for 7-12 minutes until the internal temp reaches 165*
- once all of the chicken is cooked, make the pan sauce: melt the butter in the pan, scraping up all the delicious bits on the bottom. add the flour and stir until combined. cook for a minute or two, then add the broth, mustard, and honey. bring to a simmer and stir – it should start to thicken. taste and adjust seasoning as needed
- all of your components are done! store separately and assemble your meal when ready to eat. enjoy!