I’m back to my normal routine and I’m honestly both happy and sad about it. I love my routine, it helps me feel my best, but I also love traveling and seeing the people that I love! I know I’ll be back to traveling soon enough, but for now, I’ve got a delicious meal prep to look forward to all week – Chicken Fried Rice.
I love this recipe because it’s so easy and can all be done in one pan! I think I’ve gotten my method perfected as well, especially since I don’t own a wok. I use my biggest pan, which happens to be my cast iron pan, and it’s worked out perfectly so far. Here’s how I do it:
- cook your proteins – heat a bit of oil in the pan and add in your protein. For this one, I used a large chicken breast cut into chunks and seasoned with Chinese five spice. Once they’re done, remove them into a large container that will eventually hold your finished meal. Don’t need to dirty anything else!
- toast the rice – add a bit more oil to the pan and add in the rice. break it up and then leave alone for a few minutes to get a bit of color on the rice. This heats it through and adds a bit of flavor from the toastiness. add in your soy sauce and sesame oil to make sure it gets thoroughly distributed
- cook the veg – using frozen veg makes this so simple! Add your preferred frozen veg to the pan and cook until its thawed. I like to add some fresh green onion, it makes everything taste fresh, but isn’t really necessary if you don’t have any
- cook the eggs – push the veg to the edges of the pan and add in your eggs! stir around until fully cooked and then add everything back to the pan. stir to combine and you’re all set! Taste and season as needed
You can switch up pretty much everything here! Use whatever meat you’ve got, or leave it out for a vegetarian version. Use a different seasoning for the protein, I like using something flavorful like the Chinese five spice or you can go with salt and pepper. The veg can be switched up as well, or you can use fresh veggies if you’ve got some to use up! No matter what, topping with some sriracha is delicious.
That’s it! This reheats and stores beautifully, so it’s a great meal prep OR quick weeknight dinner!
Delicious, quick, and easy - this Chicken Fried Rice is all of the best things! A perfect dinner or meal prep, this recipe is flexible and is great for using up odds and ends you've got in your fridge.
- 3 Tbsp veg oil
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp chinese five spice
- 1 tsp salt
- ~4 cups rice, at least a day old if possible
- 3-4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups frozen vegetables
- 1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sriracha, for serving
- cook the chicken: heat a large pan (or wok) over medium high heat with 1 Tbsp of the oil. season the chicken with the chinese five spice and salt then add to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. remove from the pan
- toast the rice: add an additional tablespoon of oil to the pan and then add the rice. stir to break up any chunks, then let sit for 3-4 minutes to toast. add the soy sauce and sesame oil and stir to combine. remove from the pan
- cook the veg and eggs: add the frozen veggies and green onions to the pan and cook until defrosted. move the veg to the edges of the pan and add the remining oil to the middle. add the two eggs and stir until fully cooked
- bring it all together: add the chicken and rice back to the pan and stir to combine. taste and add salt/soy sauce and pepper to taste
- enjoy! eat immediately, topped with sriracha, or store in an airtight container until ready to eat