Nothing is better than a warm, comforting soup on a cold, dreary week and that feels doubly true this week! This soup is so delicious, and has everything you could want: delicious chicken, pasta filled with cheese, and enough veggies to fill the veggie quota you’ve got. This is a great meal prep, or would be a great weeknight dinner too if that’s what you’re after!
- the base vegetables: I used 2 stalks celery, a couple of carrots, and an onion, which is a very traditional combo. these all get cooked up first to get a bit of color and give them a head start so they’re fully cooked by the time the soup is done
- additional veg: I threw in some frozen spinach towards the end, it’s my go-to to pack a nutritious punch.
substitution ideas: use whatever else you’d like! if it needs a lot of time to cook, something similar to carrots, maybe throw it in at the very beginning with the celery, carrots, and onion. otherwise, throw it in towards the end. the goal is to have whatever veg you use to be cooked through by the time the soup is done
- herbs and spices: I threw fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage and let them cook along with teh chicken. YUM!
substitution ideas: you can use really anything! think about what flavor profile you want from your soup and go from there. you’ll definitely want to use some salt, but go light with it at first in case your stock is pretty salty. you can always add more!
- stock: I used homemade turkey stock that I made after thanksgiving, but whatever you’ve got works! you can also use veg stock and leave out the meat to make this vegetarian, or even vegan
- meat: I cooked my boneless, skinless chicken breast in the simmering stock both to add flavor and also because I didn’t want to dirty another pan to cook it separately, if I’m completely honest!
substitution ideas: you can also put in any kind of pre-cooked meat you want to use up! did you make a ham or turkey for the holiday? throw that in instead of the chicken!
- tortellini: I love a bit of pasta in a soup, and cheese filled pasta is my fav
substitution ideas: you can use any kind of pasta, filled or not! add it at the end and cook until just done. you might need to add a bit of extra stock or water, depending on what kind of pasta you use
Want some other soup inspiration?
I’ve got you covered:
Chicken, Spinach, and Tortellini Soup is so delicious, and has everything you could want: delicious chicken, pasta filled with cheese, and enough veggies to fill the veggie quota you've got. This is a great meal prep, or would be a great weeknight dinner too if that's what you're after!
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5-6 cups stock
- 4 oz frozen spinach
- 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 sprigs each of rosemary, sage, and thyme
- 1 package cheese tortellini
- in a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the celery, carrots, onion, and salt for 5-7 minutes until they're starting to soften.
- add the herbs, chicken, and chicken stock to the pot. cook at a simmer (you'll need to reduce the heat after a bit) for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked. remove the chicken, chop, and return to the pot
- remove the sprigs of herbs, all of their little leaves have probably fallen off and that's fine. add the spinach and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so. also check the broth for seasoning at this point - you may need some more salt depending on stock you used
- throw in the tortellini and cook for as long as called for on the packaging. enjoy!