It’s been a minute, y’all! Sometimes between my full time job, life responsibilities, and the blog (as much as I love it!) it gets to be a bit much. So I took a nice long break and am very excited to be back at it.
For meal prep this week, I went back to an old favorite – Sesame Chicken! It’s quick, easy, and always delicious. The sauce you use is the biggest flavor component, so make sure it’s a good one! I had my own sauce recipe last time I made this, but this time I used store bought since I was looking for the quickest version I could make.
- the chicken – obviously that’s the key piece here, and it’s easier than you think. The batter on the chicken gives it that same vibe as takeout and it’s shockingly easy. then, mix with your sesame sauce and you’re good to go!
substitution ideas: you can use any sauce you like here! I’ve done it before with a sweet & sour sauce with excellent results
- the quinoa – you know it’s my fav starch because it’s so easy to cook! just be sure to add in some salt, it makes a huge difference
substitution ideas: whatever starch you want! rice is probably the norm and an excellent option
- the broccoli – quick and easy. I know I’ve usually shared roasted veg for my meal preps on here, but I think this pseudo-steamed version is even better for reheating. If you have the little steamer basket that’d be awesome, but if you’re missing one, like I am, you’ll still be in good shape
substitution ideas: whatever veg you want! stir fry them, roast them, boil them, whatever makes you happy. or go with a side salad and a ginger dressing! so many options
That’s it! I hope y’all like this one.
Here's an old favorite - Sesame Chicken! It's quick, easy, and always delicious, perfect for a meal prep or weeknight dinner. The sauce you use is the biggest flavor component, so make sure it's a good one!
for the broccoli
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
for the chicken
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 jar sesame sauce
for the quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp salt
- start the broccoli: cut the broccoli into small florets and add them to a large pot along with the red pepper flakes, garlic, and salt. add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. (if you have a steamer basket you can use it here! I don't but this still works just fine) cook over medium heat until the broccoli turns bright green and is cooked to your desired doneness. check for doneness by stabbing a floret with a fork, starting after about 10 minutes
- start the quinoa: combine the quinoa, salt, and 2 cups of water in a medium pot. bring to a boil then let simmer until all the water has been absorbed, ~15-20 minutes
- make the chicken: first, make the batter by combining the egg, cornstarch, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. add the cubed chicken to the batter and mix to coat all pieces
- cook the chicken: heat oil in a pan over medium high heat. depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to do this in two batches. once hot, add the chicken in a single layer. cook until golden brown, then flip and break up into individual pieces. cook the second side until golden and chicken is cooked through. once the chicken is cooked, add the sauce to the pan. let simmer for 3-5 minutes until thickened
- as things finish cooking, place into their own container and let cool to room temp before covering and placing in the fridge if using for meal prep. to reheat, place what you want to eat in a bowl and microwave for 1:30-2:00 minutes. enjoy!