They say that if you wait until you’re absolutely ready to start something, you’ll never start because you’re never going to feel absolutely ready. So here I am! Not feeling ready, but going to do the thing anyway.
I’m an avid home cook and baker, but what really brought me back to my love for cooking after a bit of a break was starting to meal prep. Every weekend I make my plan, make my grocery list, go to the store, and set myself up for a great week. Now that we’re all in quarantine, I’ve had a lot more time to meal prep and I’m not constrained to re-heating food in the microwave every day. I’ve taken full advantage of that this week with my delicious spread of chicken, flatbread, hummus, roasted veg, and a tangy, yogurt-y dip. It’s easy to mix and match, cooked up super quickly, and I’m truly excited to eat it all week. Check out the components below:
- homemade flatbread – just flattened out some pizza dough and cooked it up in my cast iron pan with some oil until golden brown and a bit crunchy
- chicken – marinade recipe below, but I switched up from my usual cooking method by starting in a pan to get a bit browned then switching to the oven until fully cooked. so juicy and flavorful!
- homemade hummus topped with a bit of oil and za’atar
- roasted zucchini and carrots topped with some scallions, bc I put scallion on everything
- tangy yogurt sauce – just plain greek yogurt, tons of lemon juice, salt, cumin, and some dried basil. it’s perfect with the chicken!
Lemon & Za’atar Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/4 C oil, I used olive oil but veg would work too
- 1/4 C lemon juice, from ~1 lemon
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T za’atar, or use any spice mix you have
- heavy pinch of salt
What to do
- make marinade by mixing together all ingredients, either in a medium bowl or quart sized bag
- add chicken to the marinade for at least 1 hour or up to overnight
- heat pan over medium high heat and prehead oven to 425*. add chicken to pan and let cook until the first side is slightly browned. flip, and continue cooking until browned on the second side
- move pan into oven if oven safe, or move chicken to a lined pan. bake chicken about 20 minutes, or until it has an internal temp of 165*
- let chicken rest for at least 10 mins, then cut and enjoy!