Hello friends! For those of you in the US, happy election week! It’s not too late to vote – go vote tomorrow if you haven’t already! Check out iwillvote.com for some great resources and make your voting plan
Now, on to the food: Sweet & Sour Chicken! I know I made this like, a month ago, but I had the leftover sauce in my freezer and some extra bell peppers so it seemed like the perfect plan. Well, that and it’s just so tasty. I switched it up a bit this time – I remembered to get pineapple at the store, I cooked down the onion and did this all in one pan! All in one pan is my fav, since I didn’t want to do any more dishes than I needed to yesterday. I also added some spices to the chicken batter mixture and it’s super tasty.
Here’s my updated recipe! You could totally make your own sweet and sour sauce if you wanted to, but store bought is great too.
Sweet & Sour Chicken – makes 5 servings
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp veg oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 bell peppers, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 large onion, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 small can or 1/2 large can of pineapple chunks
- sweet and sour sauce, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- salt & pepper, to taste
How to do it
- make the quinoa: in a medium pot, combine teh quinoa and 1.5 cups of water. add a pinch of salt and heat on high until it comes to a boil. reduce the heat to low and let cook until all the water has been absorbed, about 20 mins. set aside once done
- make the chicken: set a large pan over medium heat
- in a large bowl, combine the egg, cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. mix well
- cut the chicken into bite sized chunks and add to the egg mixture and mix to coat
- add the oil to the pan, then, once it’s hot, add the chicken and spread out as much as possible. let cook for 2-3 minutes undisturbed, then flip and break into individual pieces. continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 160*
- cook the veg: remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. add the butter to the pan, reduce the heat to medium low, and add the onion and a pinch of salt. let that cook until it’s starting to become translucent, then add the bell peppers with another pinch of salt
- cook the veg until it’s all soft, or cooked to the texture you want.
- bring it all together: add the chicken, green onions, pineapple, and sweet and sour sauce to the pan with the veg. mix well, and let cook for a couple of minutes to bring it all together
- serve with quinoa and enjoy!