Another Monday, friends! I hope that you all had a great Valentines day yesterday and got to spend it with the people you love AND took some time to do something nice for yourself too. I treated myself to some new books and bath bombs on Saturday and went to dinner with my dad yesterday which is always a good time.
Before dinner though I did my weekly meal prep! This week it’s some truly amazing chicken and veg quesadillas. I tried out a new method of cooking a bunch of quesadillas at once and it worked so, so well, I’m a little shocked. Instead of using the traditional stovetop method, I popped them into the oven for 15 minute and they’re perfect! Also so, so delicious.
I also prepped breakfast for the first time in a while – I found a recipe for protein pancakes that are high protein without using protein powder and they’re actually pretty good! I used up some frozen mixed berries I had in the freezer instead of just blueberries and its the perfect topping. I highly recommend them, if you’re into that kind of thing!
Now, here are some tips for this week’s meal prep:
- I used up some leftover red onion and bell peppers but, as usual, you can use whatever veggies you’ve got hanging around and want to use up!
- I cut up all of my quesadilla filling ingredients into bite sized pieces – I think it makes them easier to eat so you’re not trying to bite through a big chunk of veg or chicken
- Especially for meal prep, leave the salsa on the side instead! Excess liquids in the filling will lead to soggy tortillas which is not a good time later on in the week. It also helps if you use the cheese as a barrier between the tortilla and the filling so no liquid causes issues.
- You can reheat these on the stove top or even in the microwave! Just wrap them in a paper towel to absorb any excess liquid. They won’t be crisp, but they’ll still be delicious.
- I love this chicken marinade – it’s perfect in this recipe, but also delicious on it’s own or in pretty much anything!
That’s all I’ve got! This one is a simple recipe and absolutely delicious.
Chicken & Veg Quesadillas
makes 5 quesadillas
for the chicken
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 4-5 limes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
for the veg
- 1-2 bell peppers
- 1/2 onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 small tortillas
- 6-8 oz cheese – I used pepperjack but any kind will work
- salsa, for serving
- salad kit, for serving, optional
How to do it
- marinade the chicken: cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise to make them thinner. place in a medium bowl and top with the salt, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, and chili powder. mix to combine and let hang out while you prep the veg
- prep the veg: cut the bell pepper and onion into strips. mince the garlic and jalapeno. set aside
- cook the chicken: heat a pan over medium heat. add the veg oil and then place the chicken in the pan in a single layer, working in batches if necessary. let cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the internal temp reaches 160*. reduce the heat if necessary. you don’t want the bits in the bottom of the pan to burn! remove the chicken from the pan and let rest for 5-10 minutes – carryover heat will bring it up to 165*. Cut into pieces and set aside
- cook the veg: once done with the chicken, add 1 tbsp of butter to the pan. add all of the prepped veg and salt. cook for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are softened to your liking. They’ll pick up the flavor from the bits in the bottom of the pan, making them even more delicious
- assemble the quesadillas: preheat the oven to 350*. spray 1-2 baking sheets with baking spray. place 5 tortillas on them. top each with a small amount of cheese, then a portion of the cooked veg and chicken, and top with the remaining cheese. add a final tortilla on top, spray lightly, and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are lightly browned. let cool on a cooling rack.
- eating immediately: If eating immediately, cut and serve with salsa and/or salad. if using for meal prep, let cool completely before storing in an airtight container
- reheating: if using for meal prep, you can reheat the quesadillas on the stovetop in a pan, in the oven, or in a microwave wrapped in a paper towel. If reheating in the microwave, know that the tortilla won’t get crisp but will still be delicious! serve with salsa and/or salad and enjoy!
I think my grandkids could eat quesadillas for every meal! These look lovely.
Thank you! I totally agree with your grandkids – quesadillas are always delicious!
[…] Chicken & Veg Quesadillas […]