Happy Monday, friends! I hope you all had a great, relaxing weekend! I tried a new restaurant for brunch with a friend and both the company and the food were highlights of my weekend. So tasty, and so fun!
I also, as usual, knocked out my meal prep. Honestly, I really wasn’t feeling it this weekend but I powered through because I knew I would regret not having it done come Monday at lunch. I kept it super easy with my favorite veggies and tried out a new chicken marinade – it was so good! It would be absolutely perfect for grilling, which makes me want to get a grill pan even more. One day! For now, I cooked on the stovetop and while it doesn’t look beautiful, it’s so tasty, especially with the sauce!
Let’s look at all of the components:
- the chicken – I threw a quick marinade on the chicken tenders I had in the freezer! You can use any marinade you want and really any cut of chicken as well. just be sure to cook it thoroughly, whatever you use
- the veg – I stuck with my favs – brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes! I think just about any vegetable is tasty when roasted with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. I love adding a bit of cinnamon to sweet potatoes though. use whatever seasonings and veggies you’d like!
- the sauce – a sauce makes any meal better. I made a 1/2 batch of my copycat chick-fil-a sauce and it’s my fav
That’s it! So simple, so quick, and now I’ve got tasty lunches for the week. Yay!
Balsamic Lemon Chicken with Veggies
makes 5 servings
for the chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb chicken tenders or chicken breast
for the veggies
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 – 1.5 lbs brussel sprouts
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- salt, pepper, and cinnamon (optional) to taste
sauce of choice, for serving
How to do it
- marinade the chicken: in a medium sized bowl, combine half of the olive oil, the lemon juice, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic powder, and spices. mix to combine, then add the chicken. let marinade for at least 3 minutes or up to 4 hours
- prep the veggies: preheat the oven to 425*. wash the sweet potatoes and cut them into wedges – you want them to be all similar sizes so they cook evenly. cut the ends off of the brussel sprouts and cut them into quarters
- roast the veg: place all of the sweet potatoes onto one large baking sheet and all of the brussel sprouts onto another. drizzle half of the olive oil onto each sheet pan of veggies and add seasonings. I like to put some cinnamon on the sweet potatoes, but it’s optional! toss well
- roast the veggies in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, until the brussel sprouts are slightly caramelized and the brussels and sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork
- cook the chicken: preheat a pan over medium heat with the other half of the olive oil. add the chicken, working in batches if needed, and cook for 4-6 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 160*, carry over heat will take it up to 165*. alternatively, this chicken would be great on the grill!
- enjoy: if eating immediately, serve with whatever sauce you’d like. if using for meal prep, let cool completely then store in airtight containers. reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy!
Great looking recipe, thanks for sharing.
I’m glad you like it!