Happy Monday, friends! I had such a fun weekend, I actually went camping for the first time in literally 4 years and I feel like we got pretty darn good at cooking over a campfire! We made steak, baked potatoes, and asparagus for dinner, s’mores for dessert (of course!), and breakfast potatoes, bacon, and veggie filled scrambled eggs in the morning. It was great and I was actually a little surprised by how much fun it was. We’re hoping to go camping for a couple nights in the mountains next summer!
Once I got back though, I wanted a quick meal prep that would take advantage of the delicious tomatoes out there right now, so I made Caprese Chicken! Let’s take a look at it.
So few ingredients but this came out to be so, so flavorful!
- the chicken – seasoned with italian seasoning and salt, it’s the perfect base for the rest of the elements of this meal
- the tomatoes – using all of the good flavor left in the pan from cooking the chicken, I cooked the tomatoes down with some garlic and balsamic vinegar which bring the perfect acidic bite to the meal
- the cheese – fresh mozzarella is perfection, baked on top of the chicken and melting down into the tomatoes
- the quinoa – I love having a grain with this dish to soak up all of the liquid from the tomatoes. so flavorful!
- the basil – the perfect, fresh topping for the dish! It rounds out the classic flavor combination of tomatoes, mozz, and basil
You can take the elements of this dish and switch up the flavors in so many different ways! Substitute the italian seasoning for whatever you’ve got, and use any melting cheese instead of the mozzarella. You could also substitute the tomatoes for any other veggie and use the same steps to make an amazing, veggie filled meal.
This quick, easy Caprese Chicken meal prep recipe is a great way to highlight the perfect tomatoes that are in season right now! The tomato sauce bring the perfect flavors to the tender chicken and fresh, melty mozzarella.
- 2 chicken breasts
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- fresh basil
- 1 cup quinoa or other grain, cooked according to package direction
- roasted asparagus or other vegetable, optional
- cook the chicken: cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise so that you have two pieces of chicken, each half as thick as the original breast. season generously with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. heat a pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side until it reaches 160*. remove from the pan and set aside
- make the tomato mixture: reduce the heat of the pan a bit and add the garlic and balsamic vinegar to the pan. cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the tomatoes and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until the tomatoes have softened and slightly broken down
- bake and enjoy: arrange the chicken back in the pan and top with the mozzarella slices. pop under the broiler for about 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the tomatoes are starting the brown just a bit. enjoy immediately with the quinoa, or let cool completely before storing in an airtight container if using for meal prep