I usually use pumpkin in my sweet baking, but I really wanted to take it in a savory for my meal prep this week and I’m so glad I did. This one is so easy to make and so comforting! It’s got slightly spicy sausage, veggies, and pasta in a delicious pumpkin sauce full of creamy ricotta and warming fall spices. So tasty!
There’s a few components here, but they come together to make a meal that’s greater than just the sum of it’s parts:
- the sausage – I like using spicy italian sausage to bring some heat to the dish, but sweet would work too!
- the pasta – any short pasta will work beautifully, I just love bowtie pasta
- the veg – I used spinach and broccoli because they’re my favorites, but whatever you like would work too here, or skip the veg and increase the amount of pasta if that’s what you’re after!
- the sauce – pumpkin, ricotta, and chicken stock form a creamy sauce that clings to the pasta and veg nicely. Add in some spices and it’s just perfect for a fall day
STORAGE & REHEATING
This meal prep is a great freezer meal! Follow the recipe as written but, before baking, cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil and throw it in the freezer in one large pan or individual ones. From there, you can bake from frozen, just give it some extra time in the oven to thaw and heat all the way through.
If you’re not planning to freeze it, you can store this one right in the pan you bake it in, or transfer to individual containers for a grab and go situation. Either way, as long as it’s covered well it’ll keep all week! Just reheat it in the oven or microwave, whichever is more convenient for you. Serve with some crusty bread and you’re in great shape.
Quick, easy, and full of fall flavor, this Pumpkin Sausage Pasta bake is the perfect meal prep or weeknight dinner! Packed with veggies, it's a complete meal that everyone will love.
- 1/2 lb short pasta, like bowtie
- 1 lb Italian sausage, hot or sweet
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 sage leaves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut small
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- prep: preheat the oven to 400* and prep all of the veggies. set aside
- cook the pasta: cook the pasta for 2 minutes less than the directions on the box in well salted water. drain and set aside
- make the sauce: heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat. once hot, press the sausage into an even layer on the bottom and let cook for 5 minutes undisturbed. flip the sausage over, it should be nice and browned. break into small pieces and cook until no pink remains. remove from the pot and drain most of the fat, leaving about 1 Tbsp in the pot
- add the onion and garlic to the pot, along with a large pinch of salt. cook for 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent
- add the wine and sage to the pot and let the wine reduce by half, scraping the bottom of the pan to get up all of the delicious bits that are there
- add the sausage, broccoli, chicken stock, pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the pot. stir well, then cover and let cook for 3-5 minutes until bubbling
- remove from the heat and add the spinach, ricotta, and cooked pasta. stir well and taste, adjust the seasoning as needed
- bake: top with the parmesan cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is slightly browned and it's heated through
- enjoy! serve with crusty bread or a salad
See information in the post above for freezing and reheating!