Happy Monday, friends! One of my favorite parts about working from home is that I can meal prep things that I wouldn’t be able to if I had to go to the office, like tacos! While delicious, they really wouldn’t hold up well after being assembled in order to make it all the way until lunchtime, and assembling them at the office would just be too much effort.
I actually made these very tacos at the very beginning of quarantine and at the time I was just using up what I had in the fridge – some zucchini, salsa, cheese. It turned out so well that I wanted to make it again! You can absolutely switch out the ingredients to use up what you’ve got in the fridge. Use any veg you want, and even the sauce is flexible!
The sauce I put on it is my favorite thing ever. You can use plain (not vanilla) greek yogurt or sour cream, and honestly you can change up the citrus (try lemon or orange!) and whatever spices sound good to you. For these tacos, I love the lime and cumin combination. Make some extra, you’ll want to put it on everything!
Chicken Zucchini Tacos
- 1 jar salsa
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2-3 zucchinis
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- tortillas, corn or flour
- lime wedges, for serving
- shredded pepper jack cheese, for serving
for the sauce
- 1 cup plain (not vanilla) greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
How to do it
- make the chicken: place the chicken and 3/4 of the jar of salsa into a crock pot. you can also add some lime juice or additional spices, if desired. cook on low for 8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. the chicken is done when it easily shreds with a fork. shred the chicken and store, with the juices, in a container
- prep the veg: preheat the oven to 400*. cut the zucchinis into 1/2 inch pieces. toss to coat in the olive oil and salt. spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes until they’re soft and slightly browned on the bottom. let cool and store in an airtight container
- make the sauce: combine all sauce ingredients. taste and adjust the spices as desired. store in an airtight container
- assemble and enjoy: top the desired number of tortillas with some reheated chicken and zucchini, cheese, leftover salsa, and sauce. squeeze a lime wedge over the top and enjoy!