Full disclosure: I used to hate biscotti. I thought it was bland and far too crunchy, although the crunchy part is probably because I don’t drink coffee and used to not drink tea, so I had nothing to dunk them in.
However, these pumpkin biscotti are a whole 180 from the biscotti in my memories: the perfect balance of crunch and soft insides, a delightful pumpkin flavor, and a wonderful sweetness from the white chocolate which balances the not-too-sweet cookies to perfection. They’re also so fun to make! They come together really well, and while it takes a minute to dip and drizzle, it makes them look so nice.
They’d also travel well, so if you’re looking to make a treat to sent to family and friends during this unusual holiday season, these are a perfect candidate!
White Chocolate Pumpkin Biscotti
makes about 30 cookies
- 330 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 150 g sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 100 g pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup white chocolate
- 2 tsp neutral oil
How to do it
- preheat the oven to 350*
- combine dry ingredients: in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. set aside
- cream the butter: in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and pumpkin for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- add the wet ingredients: add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions. add the molasses and vanilla, then mix to combine
- make the dough: add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing until just combined after each addition.
- shape and bake: turn the dough out onto a floured surface. divide into two sections and form each into a 10 inch log. transfer to a large baking sheet and flatten so they are rectangles that are 10-11 inches long and 2.5 – 3.5 inches wide. bake for 25 minutes until they are slightly browned and firm to the touch
- cut and bake again: let the cookie logs cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. arrange on the cookie sheet with the cut side down and cook for 17-22 minutes, flipping halfway through the cook time
- dip and drizzle: once the cookies are cool, combine the white chocolate and oil in a small bowl. microwave for 15 second intervals until fully melted. dip the bottom of each cookie into the white chocolate and use a knife to remove the excess. place on a sheet of parchment paper. once all cookies are dipped, place the remaining chocolate in a small ziploc bag and cut a small hole in one corner. drizzle the tops of the cookies
- enjoy: let set for 10-15 minutes, then enjoy! store in an airtight container.