If you want some light, fluffy, flavorful cookies these are exactly what you’re after! The lemon flavor comes through beautifully and the cookies are almost like little cakes, super soft and fluffy and so moist. These are different from the other cookies I’ve got on the site because of the texture and I’m really loving how they came out. Just a few tweaks to my usual cookie recipe changed the texture completely!
I’ve tweaked my cookie recipe to create super soft cookies! It’s so cool to me how just a couple of small changes can make such a difference in the texture of the cookies. Let’s look at what goes into these to make them so soft:
- cornstarch – cornstarch binds with the liquid in the dough, which does a couple of things: it keeps the cookies from spreading, so they stay thicker and softer instead of becoming thinner and crisp, especially on the edges. it also makes the cookies soft and tender, which is what I was after!
- honey – honey actually holds onto moisture, it’s a humectant, which in turn makes the cookies more moist and soft! it doesn’t take a lot to get the results we’re after here
- higher ratio of flour to butter – this also contributes to less spreading of the cookies! similar to the cornstarch, it keeps the cookies thick and soft
Those small changes applied to my usual cookie recipe created a totally different cookie that’s soft and so pleasant. I topped these with a lemon glaze and they were a huge hit with my whole family!
These cookies are unlike the other cookies I’ve got on the site because of their texture, but you can definitely apply the changes I made to these to any of the other cookie recipe I’ve shared to get a super soft cookie! Here are some options to get you started:
As with any cookie, you can switch up the mix ins to make any flavor that sounds good to you!
That’s it! As I said, I’m so proud of how these came out and I think you and your loved ones are sure to like them just as much as mine do!
These soft, cakey cookies are bursting with lemon flavor and topped with a beautiful lemon glaze. They're sure to be a hit!
for the cookies
- 240 g (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 2 tp baking powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 170 g (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g (1 cup) sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest, from about 2 large lemons
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice, from 1 large lemon
- 2 eggs
- 21 g (1 Tbsp) honey
for the glaze
- 114 g (1 cup) powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- prep: preheat the oven to 350*
- combine the dry ingredients: in a medium bowl. combine the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, salt, and poppy seeds. set aside
- cream the butter and sugar: in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until very soft and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes. scrape down the sides of the bowl every couple of minutes
- add the wet ingredients: once soft and fluffy, beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. add the honey and lemon juice and mix to combine
- finish the dough: add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and, starting on the lowest speed, mix until just combined
- bake: scoop cookies about 2 Tbsp of dough each onto a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. bake for 9-11 minutes until just set. let cool on a baking rack
- make the glaze: while the cookies are cooling, make the glaze by combining all of the glaze in a small bowl. if it's too thick add water 1 tsp at a time until it reaches your desired thickness
- glaze: using a fork, drizzle the glaze over the fully cooled cookies. let set for 5-10 minutes before enjoying!
- storage: store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days, if they last that long!