It’s a cold week here and I’m so excited to have such a warm, comforting lunch all week! The best part is how easy this one is and how much flexibility there is in the recipe too. I mostly drew from my freezer, and I bet you can too!
One pot + one pan is really all you need to make a super tasty pot pie! This one is a bit different to be used specifically for meal prep – those pie crust rounds stay super crisp allll week.
- the meat – I had some turkey left over from thanksgiving hanging out in my freezer that I cut up and threw in
substitution idea: any kind of meat you want! grab a rotisserie chicken, roast a couple chicken breasts or thighs, whatever you’ve got and want to use will work here
- the veg – frozen veggies make this so quick and easy
substitution idea: you can definitely use any veg you want! if using fresh veg, I would add it to the pot along with the onion and carrots at the beginning so you make sure it’s all nicely cooked through
- the herbs – again, I went for a pantry staple of Italian seasoning
substitution idea: you can use whatever spice mix you want for a different flavor profile, or use fresh herbs! If using fresh, you’ll need to use more than you do if you’re using dried herbs
- the stock – I had turkey stock in my freezer so I used half that and half water
substitution idea: any stock you want! personally if I don’t have homemade I prefer the bullion powder stuff, but use whatever makes you happy
- the pie crust – I love Claire Saffitz’s recipe from Dessert Person so that’s what I used here. making the coins separate from the filling allows them to stay crisp all week!
substitution idea: any homemade recipe or store bought works perfectly!
Quick, easy, and formulated specifically for meal prep, this Turkey Pot Pie is a perfect comforting, warming meal packed with flavor!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 4 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen vegetables
- 2 cups turkey, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pie crust, store bought or homemade
- start the veg: heat a large pot over medium high heat. melt the butter, then add the onion, carrots, and a large pinch of salt. cook until the onions are translucent and the carrots are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- add the thickener: add the flour, which will act as a thickener, to the veggies and cook for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste
- wrap up the pot pie filling: add in the Italian seasoning, broth, frozen veg, and turkey to the pot. bring it to a simmer and let it hang out for 5-10 minutes, making sure it doesn't boil. give it a taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. if it isn't as thick as you'd like it, take a couple of spoonfuls out and combine it with a tablespoon of flour in a small bowl. return it to the pot and stir it in, giving it a few minutes to thicken the filling
- make the pie crust coins: preheat the oven to 425*. roll out your pie crust to about 1/4" inch thick. punch out 1.5" rounds, or cut it into 1.5" squares, and bake for 10-15 minutes until beautifully browned
- enjoy! when ready to eat, reheat as much filling as you'd like in the microwave or stovetop. top with a few pie crust coins and enjoy!