I wanted to use up the ground turkey I had from Butcher Box hanging out in my freezer, so Taco Bowls are the plan for this week! They’re so tasty, and, like so many of my recipes, so flexible to fit whatever you want or have in your fridge. I can’t wait to eat them all week!
So many components so every bite is a bit different and exciting, but very little effort involved!
- the meat – I had some ground turkey to use up, so I paired that with some taco seasoning for a flavorful protein component
substitution ideas: any ground meat you’ve got will work here! Or even non-ground meat, just cook it well and it’ll be delicious here
- the veg – I used my favorites, bell peppers and onions! add some spices and they’re the best addition here. the corn adds a fun sweetness as well
substitution ideas: any veg you like will work here! just cook it to your desired doneness and you’re all set
- the quinoa – it’s what I had on hand and a great way to make sure I stay full all afternoon with this prep
substitution ideas: any carb you’d like! rice would be delicious, or skip it if that’s your jam
- the sauces – I used two: salsa and a flavored sour cream situation. Yum!
substitution ideas: whatever sauce you’re feeling! regular sour cream, guac, the sky is the limit
- the cheese – can you ever go wrong with cheese? I don’t think so.
- the extras – I added some lettuce to mine for an extra crunch!
substitution ideas: literally anything else you want to add! beans? tortilla chip strips? go for it! it’s your taco bowl
You can never go wrong with a delicious Taco Bowl! This one is super flavorful, packed with veggies, and incredibly easy to make. It's the perfect meal prep or quick weeknight dinner!
for the meat
- 1 1/2 tbsp veg oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
for the veg
- 1 1/2 tbsp veg oil
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
for the sauce
- 1 cup sour cream or plain (not vanilla) greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 can corn
- shredded cheese
- prep: wash and chop all vegetables. preheat a large skillet over medium heat
- start the quinoa: cook the quinoa with 1 1/3 cup water and a large pinch of salt. bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until all the water is absorbed
- cook the meat: add the oil to the pan, then press the ground turkey evenly across the entire bottom of the pan. let cook for 5-7 minutes or until you get some browning. then stir, breaking the meat into small pieces, and cook until no pink remains. add the taco seasoning and 1/2 cup of water to the pan, then stir and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. remove from the pan and set aside
- cook the veg: add the oil to the same pan the meat was in and add in the bell peppers, onions, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. cook for 10-15 minutes until the onions are translucent and the bell peppers are softened. set aside
- enjoy! assemble your taco bowl with whatever assortment of toppings you'd like.